Chromosome-wide regulation is of paramount importance for almost all aspects of biology and for human health. During sexual reproduction, regulated interactions between chromosomes are crucial for delivering the correct number of chromosomes to each gamete. Interactions between chromosomes are also essential for shuffling of genetic information and generation of genetic diversity. Our lab is studying a conserved protein complex that assembles between meiotic chromosomes in almost all eukaryotes � the synaptonemal complex (SC). The structure of the SC has intrigued biologists for decades: it is composed of regular striations that span the interface between perfectly parallel homologous chromosomes. The SC is essential for intimate associations between homologous chromosomes and it also regulates genetic exchanges. We combine a novel biophysical understanding of the SC, live microscopy innovations, and emerging genome editing technologies to observe chromosomes and to understand how the SC works.
- Chromosome Biology
- Rog O.*, K�hler S., Dernburg AF.* The synaptonemal complex has liquid crystalline properties and spatially regulates meiotic recombination factors. Elife 2017 doi: 10.7554/eLife.21455 (*co-corresponding authors)
- Rog O., Dernburg AF. Direct visualization reveals kinetics of meiotic chromosome synapsis. Cell Reports 2015 10(10): 1639-1645.
- Kim Y., Rosenberg SC., Kugel CL., Kostow N., Rog O., Davydov V., Su TY., Dernburg AF., Corbett KD. The chromosome axis controls meiotic events through a hierarchical assembly of HORMA domain proteins. Developmental Cell 2014 31(4): 487-502.
- Rog O., Dernburg AF. Chromosome pairing and synapsis during Caenorhabditis elegans meiosis. Current Opinions in Cell Biology 2013 25(3): 349-356. (Review)
- Wynne DJ., Rog O., Carlton PM., Dernburg AF. Dynein-Dependent Processive Chromosome Motions Promote Homologous Pairing in C. elegans Meiosis. Journal of Cell Biology 2012 196(1): 47-64.
- Dehe PM., Rog O., Ferreira MG., Greenwood J., Cooper JP. Taz1 enforces cell cycle regulation of telomere synthesis. Molecular Cell 2012 46(6): 797-808.
- Rog O., Miller KM., Ferreira MG., Cooper JP. Sumoylation of RecQ helicase controls the fate of dysfunctional telomeres. Molecular Cell 2009 33(5): 559-69.
- Rog O., Cooper JP. Telomeres in Drag: dressing as DNA damage to engage telomerase. Current Opinions in Genetics and Development 2008 18(2): 212-20. (Review)
- Miller KM.*, Rog O.*, Cooper JP. Semi-conservative DNA replication through telomeres requires Taz1. Nature 2006 440(7085): 824-828. (*equally contributing authors)
- Rog O., Smolikov S., Krauskopf A., Kupiec M. The yeast VPS genes affect telomere length regulation. Current Genetics 2005 47(1): 18-28.