Main Navigation

University Resources

Home Permission Codes

Permission Codes



The University enforces prerequisites for undergraduate courses. You may need to secure permission to take a course.


BIOL 2420 section 070 do not fill out the form above contact Janet Goff:

Janet Goff

If you are seeking permission to enroll in Chemistry or Math courses you must contact the respective departments directly-we only process permission codes for Biology courses.

You will need to complete the Biology Permission request that applies:

  • In-State Transfer Courses: You may need a permission code if a course you took does not directly articulate for a specific prerequisite here.
  • Out of State Transfer Courses: Your prerequisite course(s) was taken at a university other than University of Utah. The current software does not recognize transfer courses as satisfying prerequisites.

In-State Transfer Guide

If you are currently taking the prerequisite course (at the U of U) for the course you need next semester, you do not need a permission code. The software will allow you to register for the next course. If you do not pass the prerequisite course with a C- or better grade, you will be dropped from any courses that required the prerequisite course.

For other department permission code requests:

No Form Required for the Following

Please DO NOT fill out the permission code request form if you want to register for:

  • BIOL 2325 Anatomy - please contact the instructor
  • BIOL 4965 Internship Course
  • BIOL 4955/4995 Independent Research
  • BIOL 4950 Directed Reading
  • BIOL Courses that require an application (courses that require an application will indicate this on the class schedule with links to the application).
  • A course past the add deadline Please speak with the course instructor. The advising office must have permission from the course instructor to send you a permission code if it is past the last day to add without a permission code. Please have them e-mail your full name, U of U ID number, and reason for approval to
  • A course that is full. For full courses, you should monitor enrollment on the class schedule or in CIS to see if a seat becomes available. Students can also contact the instructor. We recommend students contact the instructor to inquire if they keep a waitlist. Instructors are not required to keep waitlists, please be aware that not every instructor chooses to do so.
  • If the above reasons do not apply to you, please read the course descriptions and prerequisites for any course in the Course Catalog to find out which course (s) you're lacking and register for the appropriate course, according to your eligibility based on the prerequisites. The School does not make exceptions to Biology prerequisites. If you get an error while registering for a course, that is not the prerequisite error, please call the Registrar at 801-581-8969 to investigate the problem.


If you are enrolling in a BIOL course with a listed co-requisite, you must enroll in the co-requisite course before adding the Biology course. If you drop the listed co-requisite course, you will be dropped from the Biology course.

  • For example, BIOL 2425 lists BIOL 2420 as a co-requisite for this course. If you have yet to take BIOL 2420 you can register for BIOL 2420 first and then BIOL 2425 in the same semester.