Fall 2023 Permission Code Request for Biology Courses has Closed:
To add a class this late into the Fall 2023 Semester you will need to follow the directions below:
BIOL 2420 section 070 or 071 - please contact Denise White:
BIOL 4955 Permission Code Request for Individual Research
Students may be eligible to receive academic and/or lab credit for research performed in a bioscience lab at the University of Utah.
To check your eligibility please contact Theresa Nydam at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are seeking permission to enroll in chemistry or math courses, you must contact the respective departments directly. We only process permission codes for biology courses.
For in-state transfer courses: You may need a permission code if a course you took does not directly articulate for a specific prerequisite here.
For out-of-state transfer courses: You will need a permission code if your prerequisite course(s) was taken at a university other than University of Utah. The current software does not recognize transfer courses as satisfying prerequisites.
If you are currently taking the prerequisite course (at the U of U) for the course you need next semester, you do not need a permission code. The software will allow you to register for the next course. If you do not pass the prerequisite course with a C- or better grade, you will be dropped from any courses that required the prerequisite course.
For other department permission code requests:
Please DO NOT fill out a Permission Code Request for the Following Courses:
- BIOL 2325 - Human Anatomy - please contact the instructor
- BIOL 4965 - Internship Course - please contact Dr. Naina Phadnis
- BIOL 4955 - Independent Research - please see listing above
- BIOL 4995/4999- Honors Research & Thesis - please contact Dr. Naina Phadnis
- BIOL courses that require an application (Courses that require an application will indicate this on the class schedule with links to the application.)
- A course past the add deadline - Please speak with the course instructor. The Biology Permission Code Team must have permission from the course instructor to send you a permission code if it is past the last day to add without a permission code. Please have them email your full name, uNID, and reason for approval to email@example.com.
- A course that is full - For full courses, you should monitor enrollment on the class schedule or in CIS to see if a seat becomes available. Students can also contact the instructor. We recommend students contact the instructor to inquire if they keep a waitlist. Instructors are not required to keep waitlists and not every instructor chooses to do so.
- If the above reasons do not apply to you, please read the course descriptions and prerequisites for any course in the General Catalog to find out which course(s) you're lacking and register for the appropriate course, according to your eligibility based on the prerequisites. The School of Biological Sciences does not make exceptions to biology prerequisites. If you get an error while registering for a course that is not the prerequisite error, please call the Registrar at 801-581-8969 to investigate the problem.
If you are enrolling in a BIOL course with a listed co-requisite, you must enroll in the co-requisite course before adding the biology course. If you drop the listed co-requisite course, you will be dropped from the biology course.
- For example, BIOL 2425 lists BIOL 2420 as a co-requisite for this course. If you have yet to take BIOL 2420, you can register for BIOL 2420 first and then BIOL 2425 in the same semester.